Lawrence B. Garcia, Shareholder
Lawrence, manager of the firm’s business service practice group, brings to the firm almost 40 years of experience as a practicing attorney and health care professional. His experience encompasses the counseling and representation of clients in highly regulated business environments with a heavy concentration in providing support for health care providers, senior living providers, nonprofit corporations and small businesses. Lawrence’s practice includes mergers, acquisitions, financings, commercial transactions, health care law, compliance, the representation of clients in regulatory matters and facilitated conflict resolutions, as well as the representation of clients before regulators. Lawrence focuses his current practice on seeking to find creative and enduring solutions to the most serious problems faced by his clients in the current business environment, including strategic planning, governance development, business structuring, commercial transactions and dispute resolution.
In his current practice, Lawrence works with hospitals, health systems, federally qualified health centers, medical group practices and senior living providers in the design and implementation of “value-added” business relationships that are designed to (1) improve the quality of clinical care provided, and (2) resolve and address the most serious regulatory challenges faced by clients in the health care field.
Over the course of his legal career, Lawrence has worked with local and national clients, including serving as Corporate Counsel for Catholic Healthcare West (now “Dignity Health”), a major non-profit, multi-corporate health care system in the western United States. Working in this highly regulated industry, Lawrence has gained valuable experience in working with the many agencies which impact health care delivery and financing. Lawrence’s experience includes representation of clients before several regulatory agencies such as the California Department of Health Services, the California Medical Board, Medicare Provider Reimbursement Board, the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, several Regional Health System Agencies (for CONs), the Office of Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services, the Federal Trade Commission, the California Department of Public Health, the California Department of Health Care Services, the California Department of Social Services, the Cal Mortgage Program, and the California Office of Administrative Law.
In addition to his active legal practice, Lawrence serves as the President of Garcia Consulting Group Inc., which provides business consulting services in the areas of health care, long-term care, business development and education consulting. Lawrence is also the Dean of Faculty and Co-founder of The Institute for Senior Living, a non-profit think tank comprised of senior living leaders and Chief Executive Officers who meet periodically to craft new, innovative ways of serving their elderly clients in senior housing and continuing care communities.
Lawrence also served as a principal and shareholder in BDC Advisers, LLC, which is a health care consulting firm specializing in strategic planning, integrated delivery systems, and market transformation consulting support. Lawrence had primary responsibility for development of the highly successful “legal support services” product line for BDC Advisers, LLC.
Lawrence has been happily married for forty years, was actively involved in the raising of his children, and is now a proud grandfather.
Following are examples of legal matters Lawrencea has handled for clients:
- Major responsibility for formation of Catholic Healthcare West Health System in December 1986.
- Principal responsibility for consolidation of three Sacramento Mercy Hospitals into Mercy Healthcare Sacramento in July 1987.
- Principal responsibility of acquisition of American River Hospital in May 1991, including obtaining approval for acquisition from the Federal Trade Commission.
- Principal responsibility in over 50 major transactions for the CHW system including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and bond financing.
- Development of Catholic Healthcare West Antitrust Compliance and Corporate Compliance Programs.
- Principal responsibility for affiliation with Methodist Hospital of Sacramento in April 1993 and Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital and Woodland Memorial Hospital in 1996.
- Principal responsibility for all major acquisitions, joint ventures, and transaction activities of Mercy Health Care Organization and its hospital affiliates.
- Principal responsibility for cases involving challenges to the University of California’s Professional School Admissions Programs on the grounds of “reverse discrimination.”
- Principal responsibility for creation of the University’s Non-Resident Tuition Manual.
- Principal responsibility for management of all legal issues presented by medical care problems in the Heart Surgery Program and Kidney Transplant Program at the University of California, Davis Medical Center.
- Major responsibility in representing University Hospitals in negotiations with the California Medical Assistance Commission.
- Major responsibility in negotiating legal relationships between University Hospitals and the California counties of Orange, Sacramento, and San Diego, for providing care to each county’s medically indigent adults.
- Consolidation: The Racial Implications, Chapter 3 of “The White Curtain: Racially Disadvantaging Local Government Boundary Practices”, 54 University of Detroit, Journal of Urban Law 717
- “Antitrust Issues Under Healthcare Reform,” Vol. 16 Whittier Law Review 117 (1995)
- “Moving Beyond Capitation: Pay-for-Performance,” feature article for the Health Financial Managers Association published (July 1998)
- “Colloquium Report on Legal Issues Related to Tax Exemption and Community Benefit,” issued by the National Health Lawyers’ Association (1996) Participated as select member of the Colloquium Panel
- Webcast, “Physician Integration Strategies: What You Need to Know in 2015,” The Knowledge Group (June 2015)
- Frequent speaker for the California Primary Care Association on a variety of topics impacting California’s community health centers and FQHCs
- Speaker, “Confidentiality of Patient Records,” Lorman Educational Services (2004-05)
- Moderator, “Exploring Hospital/ Physician Relationships,” Lorman Educational Services (Dec 2001)
- Panelist, “Physician Hospital Disentanglement,” American Bar Association (2000)
- Speaker, “Construction Litigation in California,” Lorman Educational Services (2000)
- Speaker, “Private Risk Sharing: New Methods for Physician Incentives,” American Health Lawyers’ Association Annual Meeting (1999)
- Speaker, “Aligning Financial Incentives: Hospital-Specialist Gain Sharing Programs: Making Them Work and Making them Legal,” First Annual Congress on Restructuring of Integrated Healthcare Delivery Systems (May 1999)
- Speaker, “Basis of Structuring Business Transactions – A Primer,” Healthcare Compliance Association Stark Reality Conference (June 1999)
- Speaker, “Colloquium on Legal Issues Related to Tax Exemption and Community Benefit,” National Health Lawyers Association, Washington, DC (Oct 1995)
- Speaker, “Legal Department Cost/Benefit Justification,” American Health Lawyers’ Association Annual Meeting (1993)
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Mr. Garcia’s professional activities & affiliations include:
- Member, Legal Services Committee, Aging Services of California
- Member, Arbitration/Mediation Panel, American Health Lawyers’ Association
- Member, American Leadership Forum-Mountain Valley Chapter (former Chair)
- Member, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys (former President)
- Member, Catholic Foundation of the Sacramento Diocese (former Board Member)
- Member, Catholic Health Association of the United States (former Chair)
- Member, Mercy Foundation (former Chair)
- Member, Disputes Resolution Committee, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Member, California State Bar Association (former Health Law Committee President)
- General Counsel, California Asian Pacific Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Sacramento Asian Pacific Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member, California Hispanic Chambers of Commerce
- General Counsel, Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Sacramento Metro Chamber
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2018
- Top Lawyers, Sacramento Magazine (2016, 2017)
- Best of the Bar, Sacramento Business Journal, 2015
Lawrence has also served on the Adjunct Faculty of Drexel University School of Education, USC, the UC Davis Graduate School of Management, and the USF College of Professional Studies.
J.D. University of California, Los Angeles, 1975
B.A. University of California, Berkeley, 1972