Christopher Onstott, Shareholder
Chris focuses on employment litigation and commercial litigation. He has defended employers in employment litigation, including defending against race, sex, and disability discrimination and harassment claims, as well as wage and hour violations. He also has litigated numerous commercial cases, including cases involving misappropriation of trade secrets, product liability, insurance bad faith, and breach of contract claims.
Prior to joining Kronick, Chris worked in the Sacramento office of a statewide labor and employment law firm representing California employers. Chris also completed a clerkship on the United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit for Judge Walter K. Stapleton.
Chris previously lived in Argentina for two years and is fluent in Spanish.
- Represented Safelite Group, Inc. in successful defense of discrimination claims brought against company by former employee.
- Represented Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Department of Personnel Administration, the California Board of Unemployment Insurance Appeals, and the Employment Development Department in writ of mandate action. Received total defense judgment on behalf of all respondents.
- Obtained summary judgment and judgment on the pleadings in favor of client city in civil rights action brought by police officer alleging various constitutional violations. The district court’s ruling was affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment against an employee alleging disability discrimination, wrongful termination and constructive discharge against an employer.
- Successfully mediated numerous employment and business disputes, including employment discrimination claims and wage-and-hour class actions.
- Represented California employers on how to protect trade secrets and on compliance with California wage-and-hour laws, including meal and rest breaks, expense reimbursement, leaves of absence and other California employment laws.
- Successful defense of class action alleging improper payment of wages and reimbursement of expenses.
- Conducted numerous Spanish language witness interviews and investigations.
- Represented Arco Arena, Inc. and Maloof Sports & Entertainment, Inc. in defense of disability discrimination claims.
- Represented Nor-Cal Beverage Co., in defense of trade dress claims brought against Go Girl Energy drink.
- Represented California-based joint powers insurance authority in insurance bad faith action.
- Successfully opposed an application for temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction in a “bet-the-company” action alleging misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented municipalities in several lawsuits against bus manufacturers.
- Part of trial team that litigated a five-week trial on behalf of a Sacramento business who alleged misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of joint venture agreement, and interference with contract against two national corporations.
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Chris is a frequent presenter on labor and employment law matters for various educational and professional organizations, including the National Business Institute (NBI), the National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys and the California Creditors Bar Association. His other professional activities & affiliations include:
- Top Lawyers, Sacramento Magazine (2016, 2017)
- Northern California Super Lawyer (2016, 2017)
- Northern California Rising Star (2014, 2015)
- Board Member, Roseville Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member, Sacramento Chapter of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Member, Roseville Economic Development Advisory Committee (2015-2017)
- Member, California State Bar Association
- Former Chair, Executive Committee, Sacramento County Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section (2014-2015)
- Graduate, Roseville Leadership Program (2012)
- Author, “Judicial Notice and the Law’s Scientific Search for Truth,” Akron Law Review (2007)
Admitted to Practice
- All California State Courts
- United States District Courts, Southern, Northern, Central and Eastern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Third and Ninth Circuits
- United States Supreme Court
J.D. University of Texas, 2002 (High Honors)
B.A. Brigham Young University, 1999 (Magna Cum Laude)