Christine Cohn, Senior Counsel
Christine Cohn is health care regulatory and transactional attorney with more than 20 years of experience working with a broad range of providers, including integrated health systems, physicians, IPA’s, hospitals, pharmacies, clinical laboratories, ACO's, ambulatory surgery centers, home health agencies and related business partners. Ms. Cohn has extensive experience working with providers whose operations are located throughout the United States.
Ms. Cohn’s experience includes the following types of matters:
- Negotiating and drafting managed care contracts between providers and health plans.
- Analysis and regulatory counsel regarding Knox Keene plan licensure and Medicaid/Medi-Cal managed care and Medicare Advantage issues.
- Structuring and drafting contracts for compliance with Stark, the Anti-Kickback Statute, Civil Monetary Penalties Law (beneficiary inducement, etc.) and state laws governing physician self-referral, fraud and abuse and restrictions against the corporate practice of medicine.
- Regulatory counsel on mergers and acquisitions.
- Physician alignment; hospitalist arrangements.
- Licensing and certification.
- Medicare and Medicaid/Medi-Cal provider reimbursement and enrollment matters, including representation in audits, investigations and appeals.
- Negotiating and drafting provider and ancillary agreements, including consulting, non-disclosure, management services, clinical trial, software licensing, medical equipment and health care facility leasing.
- Compliance of business arrangements and transactions with HIPAA Security and Privacy rules; preparation of HIPAA business associate agreements, data sharing agreements and notices of patient privacy practices.
- ACO entity formation, governance and contracting.
Publications & Presentations
- “New Legislation Ends the Sustainable Growth Rate and Overhauls Medicare Payments for Physician Services,” American Health Lawyers Association E-Mail Alert to Regulation, Accreditation and Payment, and Physician Organizations Practice Group Members, April 23, 2015
- “United States ex rel. Deane v. Dynasplint Systems: Federal District Court Holds Medicare Part B Claims for DME Supplied to Residents of Medicare-Certified SNFs are Not Categorically False Claims,” American Health Lawyers Association E-Mail Alert to Fraud and Abuse, Health Care Liability and Litigation, and Post-Acute and Long-Term Services Practice Group Members, March 16, 2015
- “Medicare Enrollment: A Primer,” BNA Medicare Report, October 3, 2014
- “Got Medicare Billing Privileges? Are You Sure? Tips to Avoid a Few Traps for the Unwary,” Points & Authorities, Buchalter Nemer, Spring 2014
- “Are We Really on the Road to Health Care Reform?” Executive Summary, May, 2013, American Health Lawyers Association, and The RAP Sheet, American Health Lawyers Association, September, 2013
- "Federal Health Care Reform Measures of 2010: A Business Lawyer's Guide to the New and Enhanced Compliance Mandates Affecting Physicians," Business Law News, September, 2010
Professional Activities & Affiliations
Ms. Cohn’s professional activities and affiliations include:
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Health Law Executive Committee
J.D., University of California Los Angeles, School of Law
M.S.P.H., School of Public Health, University of California Los Angeles
- University Graduate Fellow
B.A., Political Science, University of Southern California
- magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa